1. In a large pot, heat up olive oil over medium. Add the onion and sauté for about 10 minutes till softened.
2. Add the butternut squash and cooked chickpeas to the pot. Cover with 2 quarts (8 cups) of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Stir in the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, and ½ tsp of salt. Cover the pot, lid slightly vented.
4. Let the soup cook for 20-25 minutes till the squash is tender.
5. Take the lid off and stir in the fresh spinach leaves.
6. Continue to let the soup simmer for 1-2 minutes till softened and wilted.
7. Remove from heat. Season with additional salt to taste, if desired.
8. Serve hot. May be served over steamed brown rice for a more filling entrée.