Image credit to: Boston Organics
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice off tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds, wash and set upside down to drain.
2. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Cook meat, onion, garlic, and carrots together over medium-high heat until meat is browned and cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Add broth and red wine (if using). Cook over medium-low until most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, bring potatoes to a boil in a large pan of salted water. Once the potatoes come to a boil, turn the heat down to medium and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and put through a potato ricer or equivalent in a large sturdy bowl. Set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the butter, and Half and Half until butter is just melted. In a medium bowl, slowly stir the warmed milk and butter into the beaten eggs (not to fast or the eggs will cook). Add the milk, butter and egg mixture to the potatoes, stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Grease a casserole or pan. Fill the peppers about halfway with the meat mixture and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes turn a light golden color. Serve immediately.
Tip: If the peppers won't stand upright in the pan, use tin foil to prop them up or cut a little bit off of the bottom so it is standing up-right.