1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the pecans and oats out on it in a single flat layer. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until toasted and fragrant.
2. Keep the oven preheated to 350°F. Line an 8" square pan or a 12" x 5 1/2" biscotti pan with parchment paper, leaving enough parchment on the sides to use as "handles" for pulling out the finished bars.
3. Place nuts, oats, dates, cinnamon, and salt in food processor. Process until the mixture is coarse and crumbly, with no large pieces remaining. Add the apple and pulse in until there are no longer any large chunks left. Continue to process until everything starts to clump together, using a spatula if necessary to help move things around.
4. Transfer the mixture to the lined-prepared pan. Flatten and compact mixture. Make them very flat to ensure an even bake.
bake and cut into bars
5. Bake the bars in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes, and then slice into bars. Once completely cool, lift out of the pan. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.