1. Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure everything is evenly distributed.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk/milk, and butter until combined. If you don't have buttermilk, all milk will be fine.
3. Peel the pears, and grate them in the large holes of a box grater. Add the pears and their juices to the buttermilk mixture.
4. Gently add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir 'til just combined. It should be fairly thick (if you let it sit for a bit, it will thicken, thin it with milk 1 tbsp at a time to your desired consistency).
5. Heat a cast iron pan, or griddle over medium heat. Add batter in 1/4 cup mounds to the pan, once the tops start to bubble, check that the bottoms are golden brown and flip to the other side. Cook about 5 minutes total. Wipe the pan between batches, and rub a little butter in between.
6. Serve the pancakes hot from the skillet, with a splash of honey butter on top.