Image credit to: Boston Organics
1. Use a food processor to shred the peeled potatoes. Wrap potatoes in cheese cloth or allow to sit in a colander while you shred the onions. Shred the onions.
2. Firmly squeeze the excess liquid out of the shredded potatoes and mix with the onions, flour, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Carefully heat the canola oil in a large frying pan. There should be at least a 1/4-inch layer of oil. Test that the oil is hot enough by placing a single shred of potato into the oil. It should bubble and fry immediately.
4. Gather a handful of the latke mixture, flatten into a round patty and squeeze out any additional liquid. Gently place in hot oil.
5. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to cool on a wire rack or on top of clean paper grocery bags to wick away extra oil.
Repeat with the rest of the latke mixture, replenishing the oil as needed. Serve hot. Top with apple sauce or sour cream!