1. Squeeze the oragnage to make roughly a 1/2 cup of orange juice. Peel the medium onion and slice it in half-rings, peel and grate the fresh ginger.
2. Boil the beets and peel the skin off, then slice them in half-rings, just like the onions.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons of honey into a bowl. Add the orange juice and 1 tablespoon soy sauce . Stir until the syrup has dissolved. This could take a minute or so.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a stir-fry pan and sautee the onions for 5 minutes, until soft but not brown. Add the ginger and cook for an additional minute.
5. Add the beet slices and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Pour the orange/syrup mix in. Season with a good pinch of black pepper and salt. Strip 2 or 3 thyme sprigs andadd the leaves. Simmer the beets for 5 minutes over low heat.