- 1/2 pound Russet Potatoes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large eggs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Peel and cube potatoes then add to the boiling water. Cook the potatoes until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with the cooked quinoa, chives, minced garlic, salt, and panko. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and add to the bowl. Stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil. Using an ice cream scoop or your hands, form cakes and place into the heated skillet. Repeat with as many cakes will fit in the pan, careful not to crowd. Cakes should be about ½" thick. Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes until brown and crisp. Flip and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Cakes should be crisp, brown, and hot all the way through.
- Serve with greens, poached eggs, or your favorite sauce.
- For a variation, add 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar, goat cheese or parmesan cheese into the cake mixture before frying.
Adapted from Naturally Ella